Friday, March 14, 2008

Putting a face to a name?

I just wanted to rewind to the past just to fathom the enormity of the impact communication technology has had on sales techniques. The door-to-door salesman is a dying breed for sure. However, I still think a personal connection with the buyer/decision maker is a key requirement. Its very hard to describe what constitutes a "personal connection". Lunch meetings, cocktail parties etc do not actually guarantee "personal connection", it just happens.

Having said that, I have experienced situations where I have succeeded in closing long term, high-value deals, without ever meeting the prospect! I am not sure why it happened nor can I explain why I failed a million times even after after literally "camping" at the customer office for weeks!

I strongly believe the nature of the product being sold dictates the approach. I can see myself signing-up for a credit card from a major brand if they happen to make the right offer over the phone. I may not buy a house online for sure. Putting a face to a name definitely humanizes the seller and paves way for "personal connection" to come into play.

No comments: