Saturday, March 22, 2008

Here are some responses to my earlier post


Jennifer Johnson:

That "day" has been going on for years! (Unless I have a vastly different idea than you do of the definition of "high-value." In 1997, my team of virtual PR agents and I began serving full-service PR and marcom clients, ourselves located in our homes covering four time zones. There were numerous clients that I had never met when we initiated a working relationship. There have been some that I have never met--all while doing thousands of dollars of business! Same could be true, everyday, of the e-Bay clientele. Or, is my definition of "high-value" too simplistic? Cheers, as we toast the virtual age!--"Think Global, Buy Virtual!"


Prem Kumar:

I don't think this would happen in the near future atleast for the next couple of decades. This is because as Human beings we are all driven by emotions when it comes to high value purchases. Deep down it signifies your status ( Feeling good about yourself) amongst the societal peers. The very act of meeting someone & buying is in some way pampering your ego that you are capable of buying. For this a physical interaction is required. This holds true even in cases of B2B buying where there is an Organizational Ego which needs to be pampered to.


Ryan Fox:

Yes. I sell very high end fitness equipment and have had several customers in the past who I've never met spend thousands of dollars. Just last week I sold a $4,000 gym system to a guy I will most likely never meet. To me, it seems like customers want good customer service. A customer goes into a store where they meet a sales person who can't sell and has terrible customer service techniques. That customer then goes and finds the service that is worthy of his business. I hate to say it, but good sales people and good CSR's are hard to find. This is why people are gravitating to the internet. They would prefer NO human interact to BAD human interaction.

John Chepyha:

In the 70's I did a six figure deal overseas and never met the buyer once. We did not even have faxing at the time. Telex and telephone were only form of communication. From first contact to closed deal took 8 months and big telephone bills. It was happening then and it will continue to happen, but will it work with every deal, maybe someday, when we are ready for it. Best to give them a cold call and find out.

David Bruno:

Without a doubt this will happen. As the already frantic pace of business continues to pick up, people's time will become more and more premium. As the days pass, fewer and fewer of my clients have opportunities to get out of the office for lunch and golf meetings. Dinner meetings and Happy Hours are still there... for the time being. I have no doubt with the amount of data that can be transferred electronically, that soon, face-to-face interaction will no longer be necessary.

No comments: